If you run a business, it goes without saying that you should have an online presence. Social Media is undoubtedly the easiest way to go about it. Not only is Social Media a great tool for connecting with friends and family, but also for business if done right.
This article covers the basic principles of How to Use Social Media for Business. Whether you are already utilizing Social Media for your business or not, this article offers some handy tips on how to do Social Media right. Social Media Marketing is part of the ever important Digital Marketing
There are a few key points you should always consider before embarking on that Facebook or Twitter Page for your business;
What is your Objective?
It is important to determine exactly what you want to achieve on Social Media for your business. Do you want to create brand awareness?
Who Is Your Target Audience?
Or maybe you want to interact with your client base so as to have a better understanding of their needs and how you can best meet them?
such kinds of questions will not only give you clarity but will help in
formulating the strategies you will use to interact with current or potential
customers and guide you on what social media platforms will best serve your
Now that you know what it is that you want to achieve and who your target audiences are, it’s time to dive in!
The first thing to do is actually setting up your business pages on the Social Media Sites that you have decided to join e.g. a Facebook Page or a Twitter Account. When setting up your Pages, make sure you;
- Give accurate descriptions of what your business is all about. It must be clear to your audiences what you’re all about when they visit your page. Avoid being vague and giving out half-baked information. You want to build confidence!
- Include contact information that your audiences can contact you on e.g. Telephone Number, Email address etc. Make sure the contact information you provide is current and that you have access to it.
- Make sure you have cover photos and Profile Images that correspond to your services in place.
- Also, include Call To Action Buttons on your pages to encourage your page visitors to take the action you desire them to take like” GET QUOTE”, “SEND MESSAGE” or “CALL NOW “
- Include links to your website where people can follow to book services or purchase your products.
- Include your hours of operation e.g. from 9am to 5pm, closed on weekends and indicate whether you deliver services or products
- Posting Content. Good, engaging and highly relevant content is the backbone of any successful Social Media Strategy.
- Avoid Long posts. People have short attention spans. Use Graphics and some text that links to your website
- Keep content relevant and engaging. Post about topics your target audiences are interested in.
- Don’t overwhelm your audiences with 20 posts a day! This is likely to lead to your followers hitting the unlike button! It’s good to maintain a healthy balance as also posting content too far apart might not inspire confidence in your brand.
- Use an appropriate tone. Remember you defined your target audience earlier? Use a tone that best resonates with them. Remember to always be respectful.
- Avoid grammatical errors on your posts!
- Avoid using jargon or sounding too technical unless you’re posting on a professional platform where this is not unusual
- Encourage People to take action like” LEARN MORE” or “SEND MESSAGE”
- Respond to comments and inquiries in a timely manner. This will create a positive brand image and encourage your customers to share and recommend your business to others.
- Avoid confrontation with users in the comments section. It is best to reply to concerns from users privately so as to avoid a confrontation which can give your brand a negative image.
- Use Social Media Management Tools like Hoot suite to manage automatic post scheduling. This enables you to schedule posts to be shared on designated dates and times. This is helpful if you have a lot of content that you want to post gradually over an extended period of time.
Most Social Media sites have inbuilt analytics tools that enable you monitor and evaluate the success of your activities. Make use of these reports to find out if your page is meeting the set out objectives you defined earlier.
You might particularly pay attention to metrics that correspond to those objectives, like how many new likes did your page get over a defined period of time or the most popular posts that got the highest engagement. These reports will identify where your strategies need tweaking or re-enforcing, what’s working and what’s not!
With those few handy tips on How to Use Social Media for Business, you’re well on your way to success with your social media efforts.